Building LCA according to EN 15978
Read about the building LCA methodology from our other articles:
- Set your calculation period and building area
Enter your construction materials, site operations, energy and water demand.
- Enter here the service life of the building required by the client or through regulations, for LCA this is also the reference study period / calculation period for the analysis.
- Enter the building area in the respective question form. Specify as a minimum gross internal floor area (GIFA). This will be used to provide results per 1 m2, in order to make possible comparison between different projects.
Include compensation to local conditions (optional)
- Fill in your project information in Construction materials question form by entering the design either manually or by importing your data (see different import options here; guidance for data import can be found here).
- If you need help finding the right datasets for your building materials, check our guidance pages for material selection and finding EPDs.
- Use net quantities (amounts of material installed in the building) which shall be accurate to +/- 5 %. For each material you can adjust the service life based on your product, transportation distance and mode and use the Comment field for additional info (e.g. specify the construction element where the material belongs to). The resources are used for calculating A1-A3, B1-B5, C1-C4 and D modules.
- For construction site operations specify the climate region and construction site area (question 1 in Construction site operations question form) OR input manually project specific information in the questions 2-5.
- Include project specific data for annual energy (kWh/y) and water (m3/y) consumption.
Click 'Results' to analyse your LCA
- Compensation to local conditions will recalculate your building material embodied impacts to specific location. Using location energy mix, the tool will calculate as if all the construction materials were produced in the same country. If your LCA does not have such requirement, you don’t have to use this feature. The purpose of such requirement (included for some green building certification schemes) is to promote the use of local building materials. Optionally you can include all construction materials using data filter for the country.
- The results will be reported as a generic overview of impact categories and life cycle modules. You can download detailed report by clicking 'More actions'->'Detailed report', which enables you to download Excel file.
- Results are visualised for most contributing materials for each impact category, breakdown of GWP for different life cycle modules and graph of result accumulation over service life of the building.
- More info on how to analyse your results can be found here.
- Download the report template for EN 15978 LCA from the attachments.
Building area functions as a denominator of your calculation results. Press 'Input data' and open 'Building area'. Enter the Gross Internal Floor Area (GIFA) and optionally define additional areas as required by the client or by regulation. GIFA is ...
Life cycle stages
Building life cycle stages are the different periods of a building’s lifetime. For instance: raw material harvesting, manufacturing of products, use phase of the building, end of life. In the European markets the building life cycle stages are ...
Selecting building technology resources
Please note that the energy and water consumption are reported separately and the consumption also includes any impacts of technical choices. So this article is purely about modeling the material related impacts. Availability of building technology / ...
Databases incorporated in One Click LCA
For One Click LCA most of the materials’ environmental impacts are based on manufacturer or product category EPDs, collected from 26 (and counting) different EPD databases, as well as information from building material manufacturers. Moreover, we ...
Import process in One Click LCA
Make sure you have the things listed below before starting: One Click LCA user account An existing project linked to the user account with a valid One Click LCA license that enables automated import (Starter plus or higher) Red through the guide and ...